Here come the new signings...

Sheffield Wednesday have promised to step up their recruitment drive over the next couple of weeks as they seek to make their mark in the Championship.

Although the Owls have yet to sign a player this summer, manager Dave Jones and chairman Milan Mandaric have told The Star they are refusing to panic over their lack of transfer activity.

It is understood Jones, Mandaric and chief executive Paul Aldridge met in London yesterday to discuss potential reinforcements.

Before Chris O’Grady moved to Barnsley for an undisclosed fee, thought to be in region of £300,000, Mandaric told this newspaper Wednesday wanted four new additions. However, he admits the club could be in the market for even more new recruits if they fail to tie down all of their out-of-contract players.

Back-up goalkeeper Stephen Bywater is expected to turn down their contract offer and join Millwall on a free transfer.

Mandaric said: “There are a lot of things being done on the quiet behind the scenes. There will be some newcomers but, at the same time, we are not going to turn things upside down.

“We are looking at the team who finished the second half of the season and we will try to improve that team. If we are capable of doing this, I think we should have a pretty competitive team. That’s our objective.”

Jones, refreshed from a summer break, believes the transfer market will hot up at the end of this month and the beginning of July.

“There is not a lot of movement in June,” he said. “Clubs don’t have a lot of income over the summer and don’t really want to be taking on extra wages.

“That’s why the market has been really dormant. There’s been the odd few moves but not too many. Things will really start to happen over the next few weeks. We know where we need to strengthen.”

Owlstalk Shop

Guest nevergetpastsemedo

We all know what will happen, they will be a lot of BS talked by a lot of ppl at the club about what we are going to do but nothing will happen until end of July, when we've not signed anyone and we panic buy a load of has beens and nobodies

Guest BirdonaMaguire

We all know what will happen, they will be a lot of BS talked by a lot of ppl at the club about what we are going to do but nothing will happen until end of July, when we've not signed anyone and we panic buy a load of has beens and nobodies

With that attitude I can see why you don't get a season ticket, maybe you should give Rotherham a miss too eh,?

Guest nevergetpastsemedo

With that attitude I can see why you don't get a season ticket, maybe you should give Rotherham a miss too eh,?

Hahahaha, North Korea talk again then, entitled to my opinion pal, as you are yours. Ok I take it back. We will be really quick to make signings they will all be top established champ players or young players with bags of potential and we won't make any scraping the barrel signings. Work commitments stop me purchasing a ST not my 30 years of negativity from watching Wednesday every opportunity I get. I will support my team when I want lado, and yes I will do it while moaning

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Hahahaha, North Korea talk again then, entitled to my opinion pal, as you are yours. Ok I take it back. We will be really quick to make signings they will all be top established champ players or young players with bags of potential and we won't make any scraping the barrel signings. Work commitments stop me purchasing a ST not my 30 years of negativity from watching Wednesday every opportunity I get. I will support my team when I want lado, and yes I will do it while moaning

Everyone's opinion is valid.

I thought this season may have been different but I am beginning to agree with what you said.

No, actually it's quite reassuring that at the end of June, we're getting together to discuss what we might need in terms of new additions.

Good news.

Hopefully, the out of contract players will also let us know in good time what they're doing, to allow us to have another meeting, and see how the position has changed.

Then, having a clear picture of who is going, we can then have another meeting to see which potential targets we actually are going to talk to.

I am sure the same happens at every club.

Eventually, all clubs then go into the last few weeks of pre-season for the usual bunfight over players.

It's reassuring that this is what has happened in previous years, and we aren't doing anything unusual.

There can't be many out of contract / released players already talking to clubs surely? And if there are, then surely we're already involved in those discussions?

Assuming we've already had an earlier meeting, to discuss who we potentially want to talk to, based on ifs, buts, and maybe scenarios identified at that time.

This is how it works right?

You ARE entitled to your opinion.

Similarly, WE are entitled to our opinion of your opinion.

I'm fairly philosophical about transfer business, I know what I'd like, I'm pretty certain I know what we need, and I'll base my seasons expectations on who we get. It worked for me last season. After the summer business, I said that we would do well to avoid the drop, and we did, on the last day. A lot on here would say that's being negative, I thought it was being realistic, and that's how it turned out. Believe me, it's a lot let stressful than feeling let down by unreasonable expectations not being met.

Guest nevergetpastsemedo

You ARE entitled to your opinion.

Similarly, WE are entitled to our opinion of your opinion.

Of course you are but when someone comes up with statements of "I can see why you don't get a season ticket" and "maybe you should give Rotherham a miss aswell" not knowing anything about me is getting personal and basically he means if you don't agree with what I think You are not a proper fan and I will ridicule which is what he's trying to do

Of course you are but when someone comes up with statements of "I can see why you don't get a season ticket" and "maybe you should give Rotherham a miss aswell" not knowing anything about me is getting personal and basically he means if you don't agree with what I think You are not a proper fan and I will ridicule which is what he's trying to do

Everybody's opinions are equally valid.

What is not acceptable is someone trying to force their opinions on you as the way things should be, and you're an idiot if you don't agree.

You voice your opinion mate whether some agree or not.