John Fantham

Guest TC OWL

Guest TC OWL

John Fantham or Johnny Fantham was one of my early Wednesday heroes. He signed for The Owls in 1956, not sure when he finished, but it was around 1970. I'm sure I watched him for a couple of seasons. I think he went on to play at Rotherham, not absolutely sure about that though. A great player for Wednesday, indeed one of the Greatest and I don't use that word lightly.

I don't know if many on here will know this fact, but John is still Wednesday's top post war goal scorer with 167 first team goals. He was in the twilight of his carear when I started watching Wednesday in 1968, my older brother thought he walked on water. Anybody got any memories of John. He's the one in the front row, second from left sat next to Wilko.

post-33442-0-75655800-1367241271_thumb.j

Edited by TC OWL

What a star! My childhood wednesday hero - and what a great name lol

Shudda had a bucketload of England caps - only got the 1 - shame
There's owni one johnny fantham one johnny fantham there's owni one johnny fantham

Guest TC OWL

Last time I heard he was working as a volunteer in a charity shop in Crookes. He used to have a barber's shop on Leppings Lane years ago. Made me think how Wednesday remember their old stars after seeing Bobby Tambling on Match Of The Day on Saturday at Stamford Bridge, watching Frank Lampard trying to break his top scorer record. He didn't BTW. Tambling was introduced to the crowd at half time to a heroes reception.

Edited by TC OWL

Guest TC OWL

Think he beat the club scoring record with a brace against the pigs, probably 50,000 cheered him on.

Must have been a hell of an atmosphere in those days

Not just at derby matches (they still so special tho) but all games TBH

Great banter, character fans, lots of humour and yet still room for the whingers/whiners lol
Much bigger crowds, no roof on the kop, smoking allowed and outside ground was swarming with cream double decker buses!!
Happy daze indeed - IWTID

Must have been a hell of an atmosphere in those days

Not just at derby matches (they still so special tho) but all games TBH

Great banter, character fans, lots of humour and yet still room for the whingers/whiners lol

Much bigger crowds, no roof on the kop, smoking allowed and outside ground was swarming with cream double decker buses!!

Happy daze indeed - IWTID

Me dad used to give us a "bob" and that would get me bus fare to and from Chapeltown, entry to the kop and chips, scraps and gravy. What a great time to be a youth !

Russian Warship.... Go fxxk yourselves.