David Hirst or Dalian Atkinson

I think that in 1989/90 Atkinson started out the better of the two but towards the end of the season there wasn't that much in it, i can still remember the saturday i went to the paper shop to get the papers and turning to the back page reading about Dalian's departure and being both upset and angry, i was only young then

Can anyone ever say we replaced David Hirst........I mean David Hirst that was before his body gave up the ghost? I don't think we ever came close to replacing him.

But little Paul Williams and then Mark Bright replaced Atkinson, even Nigel Jemson replaced Atkinson.

Yes, Atkinson had a good shot of it in Spain, and came back to England with Villa and carried on making a name for himself, but he wasn't anything anywhere near as special as Hirsty.

Edited by a_weishaupt

I totally forgot Atkinson came back to Villa, signed by BFR too.

Some of the responses on here must be by folks with vague memories or of antagonistic tendencies.

Atkinson had great potential. I think Vulva's comments are spot on.

I don't think however, a Hirst-Atkinson partnership would have had the impact Hirst-Williams had in the 90-91 season.

Just my opinion folks.

Signed Charles Tool Monkey

Nemesis, I don't know how old you are but I remember Hirsty hitting volleys he had no right to attempt, and being on target. I remember him dragging balls back under pressure inside the box from three defenders and crossing pinpoint for someone else (I forget who!) to score. I do however remember it was against Ipswich.

I remember him "patting" a keeper on the back as he collected the ball on the edge of the box to knock the goalie out of the area......with a smile on his face so he didn't get booked.

Him and Waddle were my all time favourites.

Guest BigDave

if hirsty was playing today ( age related ) he would be in the england team before the toupee wearing scouser in a manc shirt imo.

Not so long ago I was saying the only Premiership player you could compare to David Hirst was Rooney, I'm now of the absolute firm belief that had the both played at the same time Hirst is the better player

Not so long ago I was saying the only Premiership player you could compare to David Hirst was Rooney, I'm now of the absolute firm belief that had the both played at the same time Hirst is the better player

Check your PM.

Complete and utter balderdash.

No, it is not.

I am not looking back through rose tinted specs either, Hirst was let down by many factors including his want for alcohol and fags, but he was the better all round footballer - strong in the air, a fearsome shot both at full pelt and standing still, had a skill with the ball at his feet that rivalled waddle at times. Hirst could suprisingly whip in a brilliant cross, time after time from the wing - and indeed put some brilliant performances in on the wing including against Man Utd (he murdered the little fullback Man U had at the time, I forget his name)

Rooney in comparison can be very one dimensional.

Edited by a_weishaupt

Guest Fedor

No, it is not.

I am not looking back through rose tinted specs either, Hirst was let down by many factors including his want for alcohol and fags, but he was the better all round footballer - strong in the air, a fearsome shot both at full pelt and standing still, had a skill with the ball at his feet that rivalled waddle at times. Hirst could suprisingly whip in a brilliant cross, time after time from the wing - and indeed put some brilliant performances in on the wing including against Man Utd (he murdered the little fullback Man U had at the time, I forget his name)

Totally agree, Rooney is extremely over rated and is fortunate that there is not much competition with English strikers

No, it is not.

Hirst was powerful, was a genius at times with the ball at his feet - on occasion as good as waddle with the ball at his feet in the box, had a suprisingly brilliant cross on him, was awesome in the air, had a fearsome shot both running with the ball and standing still - he was let down by his fitness, by those around him and by his reckless a

Other than probably ending up winning 100 more caps, scoring 100 more goals at the top level in England and Europe by the time he finishes and costing £29.75m more than Hirst, you're right, nothing in it.

Hirst was a great player for us, and as a local lad deserved his cult status. But to compare him to one of the best young players this country has produced for a long time, is blueandwhitespecs ballacks of the highest order.

Who was better?

We all know Hirsty was a Wednesday legend. However, who was the better player during the 89-90 season?

Atkinson had fantastic pace and ball control but the finishing let him down. Nevertheless, he was top goalscorer that season.

I personally thought Atkinson was better but his departure at the end of this relegation season appeared to be the making of Hirsty.

I'm intrigued to know what other older owls talkers think.

Behave!!!

Other than probably ending up winning 100 more caps, scoring 100 more goals at the top level in England and Europe by the time he finishes and costing £29.75m more than Hirst, you're right, nothing in it.

Hirst was a great player for us, and as a local lad deserved his cult status. But to compare him to one of the best young players this country has produced for a long time, is blueandwhitespecs ballacks of the highest order.

What does the money aspect count?

Trever Francis cost nearly 1mill in his prime, Francis Jeffers cost us almost the same amount, not in his prime.

Hirst was apparently 5Mil plus Kanchelskis in value at the time, so that would be several Andy Carrolls now, right?

What does the money aspect count?

Trever Francis cost nearly 1mill in his prime, Francis Jeffers cost us almost the same amount, not in his prime.

Hirst was apparently 5Mil plus Kanchelskis in value at the time, so that would be several Andy Carrolls now, right?

No he wasn't. Man Utd bid £3m, which was very good money. And basing any players value on the Andy Carollometer is unrealistic, seen as Liverpool paid around £20m over the odds.

Guest BigDave

No he wasn't. Man Utd bid £3m, which was very good money. And basing any players value on the Andy Carollometer is unrealistic, seen as Liverpool paid around £20m over the odds.

Wasn't it 4.75m?

It was definitely 5 Million plus Kanchelskis. Kanchelskis being valued quite highly at the time too.

Three million was the amount Francis bid for a very young Beckham and was being seriously considered.

Since we got relegated that year, neither could have been that good... could they?

My first game was Wednesday v Villa in 92. I've just looked it up and could have sworn that Hirst scored our goal until now and it was Bright, but Atkinson got both Villa goals. I can't remember much of it though, but what was Atkinson's reception like?

Edited by RockieOwl

Guest BoomTownOwls

Rooney has definitely achieved more than Hirst.

Hirst was at his peak for 2 years then he got injured. In my opinions, in those 2 years he was as good as anything English I have seen.

Lineker, Shearer, Rooney all did it for numerous years.

Hirst lacked professionalism and therefore didn't recover from injury as he should.

I do wonder where his career would have gone if Fergie had got hold of him at his peak......