David Hirst or Dalian Atkinson

It's a no brainer that Hirsty was a better player than Atkinson 'overall' but the question raised was just for the 1989-90 season. Still have to give it to David Hirst but Dalian Atikinson was a great player to watch too and did have a good season.

Guest zico sterland

Hirst power pace goals assists.Atkinson power pace petulance greed.Only one legend and one who vanished into thin air.

Guest We Shall Overcome

Without doubt, Dalian Atkinson had more ability than Hirst, but no where near the same attitude, hence the reason why Hirst had the better career.

yYour having a laugh, hirst was in a different class hence the bids from Ferguson, Atkinson was quicker that's all but this thread must be a wind up as some people carn't be that dumb surely?.

Guest parsimmon

Great post.Have to say that for that season only I would go with Dalian Atkinson.Some of his performances that season were scintillating.Quickest and most powerful player I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt and I know for a fact that he was under serious consideration for the Italia 90 squad.The display at Coventry away that season was one of my most memorable ever-Hirst and Atkinson absolutely tearing Coventry apart-they genuinely would have troubled any defence in the world that day-they were that good.Hirsty obviously is a Wednesday legend but I remember reading the back page of the Sun when Atkinson was transferred to Real Sociedad and I was genuinely devastated.Gets in my all time Wednesday team-that's how good I think he was and it was nothing short of criminal how he wasted his talent.

think we sold him for a £1.75 million to athletico madrid who then stuck a £4 million buy out clause in his contract.

Players at Spanish clubs have to have a buy out clause in their contracts. Spanish FA rules.

atkinson was the better forward in 89-90 which was the OP question.

hand on heart i'd sooner hirst left at the end of that season than atkinson.

but how wrong i was because hirst proved to be the better striker.

but the irony is that neither of them fullfilled their potential and who benifitted from that flipping alan shearer.

I think Atkinson was more or less more of a finished pllayer. Hirst had more potential. Maybe Atkinson had the better season - there were definitely more team chasing him than Hirst. I can remember being absolutely gutted when he left. Hirst is my absolute favourite btw.

Cracking question.

Guest pwilkysowls

Without doubt, Dalian Atkinson had more ability than Hirst, but no where near the same attitude, hence the reason why Hirst had the better career.

you serious ?? david hirst is the best striker i have ever seen in a wednesday shirt by a mile