What if David Hirst had joined Manchester United

I went to a charity night where Hirst was a guest speaker and I asked him about this deal.

He said it was all agreed. Wages, his car, his house, length of contract. Francis came in the dressing room, told him that they had received a fax from Man United making a formal offer and we would be turning it down.

Hirst said he nearly fell through the floor, I suspect he would have been getting about five times in wages what we were giving him. He stayed loyal to his contract with us and the rest is history.

Oh and one of our players was the go between hirst and fergie as no fee was agreed. Tapping up is of course something that never happens.

Yeah I read Francis ripped the offer up in front of his face

Guest Row20

We were offered �5M + Adrei Kanchelskis who was an amazing winger who tore defenders apart, often cutting in side and embarrassing keepers with near post goals!

BUT hindsight is a wonderful thing! Hirsty was at his peak, he could do nothing wrong, we had no obvious replacement for him and another striker of his quality would have cost similar to what we'd get in return for him!

Why would any manager sell their star asset when everything was going to plan?

Absolutely right. We were considered real top prospects then, so why would Francis have sold his prize asset to a club that at the time had been serial under performers.

I thought it was a joint £5m for Hirst and Waddle.

A substantial amount for the time considering Gascoinge was sold to Lazio for £4.5m in the same year.

Could possibly have been a record fee at the time

Sorry.

Lazio paid £5.5m in 1992.

Rangers paid £4.3m three years later.

Interestingly Gascoinge's transfer fees were consistant but when inflation is taken into consideration the amounts grew less and less.

Knew somebody would do the research for me :biggrin: