What if David Hirst had joined Manchester United

http://thedubiousgoa...arry-met-pally/

Just found this

I know some of it is a little far-fetched but its a fun and interesting read.

I didn't start going to the games until 1998 so I just missed out on seeing David Hirst but how close was he to actually joining Manchester United? and did the fans think he was going to leave or did the fans think he would stay?

And how pleased were you when you realised he was staying?

Guest cypress hill

If Hirst went to Man U we'd have got Mark Hughes

never heard that one before,but would have been a bad deal for us

Guest cypress hill

There would have been an uproar at the time BUT Man Utd would have ended up with a crock. We also had Warhurst who was firing on all cylinders and was an ample replacement.

(gets ready for barrage of venomous insulting responses)

you chuff

Guest Bournemouth Owl

We would have signed Alan Shearer, they wanted £5 million at the time and I thought it was madness as Hirst was better, now i wished we had got him

Guest Spudgun1975

wasnt part of the deal Hughes, McClair or Kancheslskis + a Wad of Cash? it was also begining of 91/92 season before frnacis found out Warhurst could play up front wasnt it unless mistaken, if i am sorry...

Guest Jump Owl

I think your right spud I think it was before the emergance of Warhurst as a striker at least. I seem to remember the 2 playing together and we didnt score for something like the first 4 to 6 games and confidence was that bad that Bright went through one on one with the keeper with no defender within 20 yards of him and turned round to find a pass. I was astounded that day and never seen anything like it since!

Guest Jump Owl

In all fairness to Hirsty it was the mentality of a lot of players round that time and prior to. If you look at the likes of Tony Adams, Merson, Micky Thomas, Mick Quinn, Southall etc none of them exactly looked after themselves

Guest FanthamOfTheOpera

In all fairness to Hirsty it was the mentality of a lot of players round that time and prior to. If you look at the likes of Tony Adams, Merson, Micky Thomas, Mick Quinn, Southall etc none of them exactly looked after themselves

Paul McGrath's book covers this quite a bit (as you'd probably expect). When Fergie came to Man Utd McGrath absolutely hated him, because Big Ron had let the players do (and drink) what they wanted, Ferguson was having none of it and really came down on the drinkers at the club......destroyed the dressing room in many ways but laid the foundations for the next 25 years. Think McGrath 'gets it' now, although he certainly didn't at the time......

David Hirst did join Manchester United, in a secret deal which allowed him to continue playing fro both clubs. In return, Sir Alex promised not to gazump us when we made a transfer move for our main transfer target, Patrick Blondeau.

To make the deal work, Hirst had to play under a false name, and obviously change his playing style in order not to be noticed. Opting to pretend to be a sh*t Dutchman, he chose the name Jordi Cruyff.

Guest justcraig

We were offered £5M + Adrei Kanchelskis who was an amazing winger who tore defenders apart, often cutting in side and embarrassing keepers with near post goals!

BUT hindsight is a wonderful thing! Hirsty was at his peak, he could do nothing wrong, we had no obvious replacement for him and another striker of his quality would have cost similar to what we'd get in return for him!

Why would any manager sell their star asset when everything was going to plan?

Ferguson would have made him stop drinking, Bould wouldn't have crocked him and it would be Hirsty sat on the sofa with Hansen and Linekar talking poo pooe on MOTD. Hirsty would have been the best striker England ever had and we would have won Euro 96 and the World Cup in 98. He would be known to us all as Sir David of Dingle. Thats what happened in my head anyway.

Guest lamort

Really enjoyed that article - great and fun read.

Now who's going to write the Wednesday version: What happened if we never bought Chris Carr.

http://thedubiousgoa...arry-met-pally/

Just found this

I know some of it is a little far-fetched but its a fun and interesting read.

I didn't start going to the games until 1998 so I just missed out on seeing David Hirst but how close was he to actually joining Manchester United? and did the fans think he was going to leave or did the fans think he would stay?

And how pleased were you when you realised he was staying?

i was over the moon at the time but know people who play golf with him regular and go on holiday at last once a year with him and i now know that he wanted to go and pretty much wouldn't play for Francis after as it was him and not the board who said no. Add to that that Warhurst would most probably of stayed had he gone and that Andre Kanchelskis was in as a make weight and in all honesty we should of sold up.

Also that artical is utter balls as it was a few years after they signed cantana and they ended up with..........................

wait for it.................................................Dion Dublin instead, as stated in Fergies autobiography