David Hirst AFTER the Steve Bould tackle

Just a shame he liked going out on the rat too much

I'm a MASSIVE fanboy, but this is something that everyone glosses over when talking about him; had he been more of a professional off the pitch then he may have had more success after his injuries; after all, its not like Shearer didn't have similarly serious (and arguably worse) injuries.

But Hirst was a class act in his pomp - Fergie offered a British record £4m for him at the time, so in today's money you are talking about £40m or so.

Its hard to say whether he was better than the like of Rooney - I suspect not, as the Prem is of a much higher standard than the top division was when Hirst played.

Just been watching the 1992/93 season review and of course that was the year when Steve Bould did that disgusting tackle on Hirst which changed his career in many ways.

I didn't start going to the games till 1998 so I just missed out on watching David Hirst but I was wondering was David Hirst a different player after the incident, had he lost any pace or sharpness or anything like that? because I know a fair few people have said that he was a lot more injury prone after that tackle

Did he also get anymore England call ups after that tackle as well?

Never the same

Guest BoomTownOwls

Alan Hansen said it best after Gary Lineker retired from international football, "the question isn't who is going to replace Gary Lineker, the question is who will partner

David Hirst up front."

Hirst was prolific, better than Shearer, in todays money he would be worth £50m+

PS, wish I was at the Arsenal game that day, I would have run down Steve Bould in the car park! C**t!

UTO

Pretty sure it was Bryan Robson that said that.

A true star yet so down to earth, one of the lads and still is! He's the only young striker that I know of that Wednesday nutured and took a chance with - phew what rewards, superb. Pity we haven't done that with others (G Holt for example) but then again did they have the sheer class of Hirsty?????

Absolute legend, and will always be up there with Dooley as our dream team strike force. Posters are right, he was first choice over shearer but I'm not sure it was just the injury that deprived him. I seem t recall a game at Wembley against France, where Hirsty started, we played poo poo, taylor subbed him at half time for shearer, changed formation, and shearer scored. That was the start of the shearer love in.

Hirsty does hold the record for the fastest shot recorded which annoyed off the arsenal cross bar in a live sky game. It'll be on youtube some where.

He actually continued playing after the tackle and finally broke down after scoring from said scissor kick. Awful ground for us Highbury, am I right in thinking that we last won there in the '60s?

Yep, that's who long it was, and IIRC on the way back from that game our team bus was in a crash and a young scottish defender lost his leg. So hardly a joyous last victory. I just hope I'm around to see us win at arsenal again. Still owe them for the cup final IMO.

Guest wembley1993

without doubt my favourite player of all time a true legend the like we will never see again thank goodness i am old enough to have seen him at his best so much better than the likes of rooney

Definately this. Hirsty - Wednesday legend.

:Hirsty:

Just been watching the 1992/93 season review and of course that was the year when Steve Bould did that disgusting tackle on Hirst which changed his career in many ways.

I didn't start going to the games till 1998 so I just missed out on watching David Hirst but I was wondering was David Hirst a different player after the incident, had he lost any pace or sharpness or anything like that? because I know a fair few people have said that he was a lot more injury prone after that tackle

Did he also get anymore England call ups after that tackle as well?

Plain and simple Hirsty was the type of striker that had you out of your seat whenever he was facing towards goal with the ball and running at defenders and on his day was without doubt one of the top strikers in European not just English football.

He was absolutely not the same player following the injury and struggled with general fitness to even play 90 minutes after that. Never forgive David Pleat for selling him to Southampton though....thrower

Aparently we got £7m for him, but then subsequently moved to Juventus for £15m, Lazio for £13m and Sociedad for £8m. Some serious patience from Pleat there, moving to a new country, learning a new language and playing a new style of football and gives him half a season. What a *** :dry:

unfortunately 7m is wide of the mark

we bought darko for what 2.5m and recouped 1.6m before he was flogged for bucket loads after that .. unbelievable ...

Best I've ever seen in a Wesnesday shirt. Absolute class. World class. Frightening pace, lethal left foot and great in the air. Shearer with pace is a good likeness.

Someone mentioned he liked a drink. Yep, as did half the squad back then, that was the culture in football. I just try and imagine Hirsty today, with the fitness regime most clubs employ he'd be even better IMO.

David Hirst, the best striker to wear the Wednesday shirt in my lifetime. Someone earlier said he was a big head, not true. A mate of mine where I used to work went to school with Hirsty and we used to see him out a lot in Barnsley. Always chatty and up for a laugh and could take the stick from the Dingle fans. Top Lad and with todays football mentality would command the largest transfer fee for an English player without a doubt.

Let's not underestimate how important Wednesday's supporting cast was in Hirst's two stellar seasons (90/91, 91/92). The style we played was absolutely suited to his blistering pace, strength and power - and Shez/Agent Wilson/Harkes/Willo knew to just slide the ball through early and let DEH do his bit.

I remember Hirsty doing a back headbutt on an Arsenal player once and always thought that tackle was payback

That was Winterburn I think always moaning like a girl, all the arsenal back four were sh&t scared of Hirsty,thats why they reverted to the dirty tricks.

vvankers