David Hirst AFTER the Steve Bould tackle

Yeah but tbh if I did then I would have missed his scissor kick (with a broken ankle) which was £ucking quality

He actually continued playing after the tackle and finally broke down after scoring from said scissor kick. Awful ground for us Highbury, am I right in thinking that we last won there in the '60s?

My favourite quote by Sir Bobby Robson said that, “It’s not a question of who will replace Lineker, but who will partner David Hirst” in his days before that tackle so glad I saw him play and hope we find the next David hirst one day.

Like that quote. Only been 24 myself (born 87) can't remember ever watching him so have asked the same questions as the OP asked to older Wednesdayites before. Was discussing him recently with the two 40 yr olds who sit next to me on The Kop they described him as better than Rooney all the talent and he was big headed with it. Could've been as good if not better than Shearer apparently. Wish he'd never had this injury and scary to think what he could have been and how he could havbe changed our last fifteen years

Hirsty was absolutely amazing, had all the attributes plus tax, I would love to know what a pre steve bould tackle price for Hirsty would be in today's market. If a georgie donkey is worth 35m then I would dread to think.

Im fortunate enough to have plenty of memories growing up, seeing him strip Michel Vonk of Man city for pace then score! ( who was stating in the media in the week before the game he would have him in his pocket if i remember right? )

Put the shits up the Mancs on frequent basis, getting up from flu to grab a point at QPR. Also remember being at the dell when he had just signed for Southampton being in the pub singing his name, needless to say the Southampton fans were a little bemused to say the least!

I remember it vividly. Bould and Adams doubled up on him, Adams had the first pop and Bould finished the job. Hirsty had a couple of ops to fuse his achilles back which initially didn't work. When finally the op did work, it cost him that cutting edge pace which he never recovered.

It makes my blood boil when fvckin Wenger goes on about people targeting his purist footballers. At that time they were the dirtiest most cynical team on the planet.

I hate Bould and i hate George Graham with a vengeance, i would happily put a baseball bat across both their knees and smile while i was doing it!!!

but then we signed Darko Kovechevic, Giles De-build and the lanky chap (what is name) all of em forgetable.

Aparently we got £7m for him, but then subsequently moved to Juventus for £15m, Lazio for £13m and Sociedad for £8m. Some serious patience from Pleat there, moving to a new country, learning a new language and playing a new style of football and gives him half a season. What a *** :dry:

Guest Wad93

Alan Hansen said it best after Gary Lineker retired from international football, "the question isn't who is going to replace Gary Lineker, the question is who will partner

David Hirst up front."

Hirst was prolific, better than Shearer, in todays money he would be worth £50m+

PS, wish I was at the Arsenal game that day, I would have run down Steve Bould in the car park! C**t!

UTO

Hirst was world class. He pi$$es all over the likes of Rooney nowadays. Alex Ferguson was desperate to sign him at Man U at one point.

Was a privilege to see him play, and in hindsight we probably didnt realise how lucky we were to have a team with the likes of Hirst, Sheridan, Waddle, Roland Nilsson, Harkes, Pearson Wilson, Warhurst etc etc ............. it reads like a dream team!

David Hirst. Lest we Forget.

Guest aj_owl

Better than Shearer at the time no doubt. Would have been a World Class player bar injury. My favourite player of my lifetime and was my idol as a youngster. Felt quite glad to have seen him play so many times for us and i pity those that never saw him live.

The guy really did have everything left foot, right foot, strength, pace and accuracy. Like Drogba and Van Persie rolled into one in modern day terms.

Just a shame he liked going out on the rat too much and OFC Steve the 2@ Bould.