David Hirst v Barnsley

Does anybody have a link to a video showing David Hirst scoring that diving header against Barnsley in the League Cup? Wanted to show it to a dingle work colleague today but can't find anything on youtube. Thanks

Guest phshaw

It was filmed as though I went to the game I also saw it on Calender or Look North. Can't remember which station though. My son collated many of Hirsty's goals a few years ago but don't think he could find that one.

It was my first ever away match and we were in the home end simply because living in Barnsley it was easier to get tickets that way.

I would love to see footage of that goal or even a picture would bring the memories back.

Guest phshaw

I was there! that was awesome. We were stood in the home end, got there late & missed our first goal, so couldn't work out why all our fans were celebrating at the end!

I'm probably wrong, but was that his debut?

No, Hirsty made his debut against Everton as a sub. Britain was suffering the tail-end of Hurricane Charlie. He scored with his very first touch in front of the Kop.

Thanks for replys, I've got a still photo of the moment he headed it but would love to see it again. I think he hadn't been with us long and came on as sub to score the winner, simply because I've lived in Barnsley most of my life it will always be my favourite Hirsty goal for the way it quieten the Oakwell crowd.

No, Hirsty made his debut against Everton as a sub. Britain was suffering the tail-end of Hurricane Charlie. He scored with his very first touch in front of the Kop.

Was that the 1st match with the roof on the Kop? I always remember it being so but might be wrong.

Was at Oakwell that night also - remember Hirsty flying through the air with his arms like wings so he could reach the ball - great night!!

He made his debut v Charlton at Selhurst the previous Saturday - the Everton game was on Bank Holiday Monday - and it was weeing down

Guest hirsty9

I went to that barnsley game , and coming back home in the car Hirsty was interviewed and asked about the goal and hirsty replied how good the cross was and that he was in two minds to head it or volley it and he decided to head it as it would look better on telly ..god i loved that bloke

Guest MikeyG

Does anybody have a link to a video showing David Hirst scoring that diving header against Barnsley in the League Cup? Wanted to show it to a dingle work colleague today but can't find anything on youtube. Thanks

Brilliant night at Oakwell that was. (87 I think)

It was up on Youtube at some point. I was looking for it a month or two ago and couldn't find it again.

What a header it was.