Madine Vs The Boy Wonder...

'Norm' already had all the attributes when he was 18/19 years old and played and scored against the top sides as has already been said...1st game scored against Man U for example !!! .... Madine has great potential and it would be nice to think he'll stay for ten years and then we can make comparisons maybe...but for me he needs to do it in the top league like 'Irsty did obviously!!!.....lets hope we get a chance to see !!! .... lol

Guest wadsgod

In 36 years of going to hillsborough Hirsty is head & shoulders the best centre forward I've seen in a Wednesday shirt.

Madine will never ever be anywhere near hirst, that's all I have to say about that

This is stupid.

One was the best striker in the country, the other is plying his trade in the 3rd tier and doesn't particularly stand-out amongst the other top strikers in the division.

Hang on a second.

It's very obvious that Madine at the moment is nowhere near the place Hirst got to at his zenith. But we're not comparing the same things here are we? Do you remember HIrst's first two or three years at the club? He was in and out of the team and didn't have a good scoring record. I still loved him though for the passion and determination he played with and that he brought that indefinable something the others couldn't. As someone mentioned above, coincidence or not, it was Ron Atkinson's arrival that finally started to see him evolve as a quality player.

Now it is of course highly unlikely that Madine will ever get to such an exalted place, but can any of us honestly write him off at this young age of getting very much better?

Hang on a second.

It's very obvious that Madine at the moment is nowhere near the place Hirst got to at his zenith. But we're not comparing the same things here are we? Do you remember HIrst's first two or three years at the club? He was in and out of the team and didn't have a good scoring record. I still loved him though for the passion and determination he played with and that he brought that indefinable something the others couldn't. As someone mentioned above, coincidence or not, it was Ron Atkinson's arrival that finally started to see him evolve as a quality player.

Now it is of course highly unlikely that Madine will ever get to such an exalted place, but can any of us honestly write him off at this young age of getting very much better?

I'm not writing him off by any means but they're two completely different players. Even at an early stage it was clear that Hirst was something special, and he was in and out of a team that were in the top division!

Hirst had the whole package - he was quick, powerful, good in the air, could dribble with the ball as good as anybody, and could score with both feet.

Madine is good in the air, holds the ball up quite well and is good at bringing others into play.

Let's not pretend there is a comparison here

Edited by evaD

All of the above about Hist is accurate.

HOWEVER, Madine is the best finisher I have seen at Wednesday in a long time. He has a calmness in front of goal that is natural and his success ratio with shots must be pretty impressive. He has excellent positional sense.

Let's hope he keeps developing :madine: I'd like to see DJ get him on the weights, bulk him up a bit, like :reda: gt

We've got some good young players and the future's looking good :ls:

Madine is young has years ahead of him and if he becomes half the player hirsty was then he'll do fine.

agreed I was lucky enough to see a hell of a lot of hirsty's career with us and he started a bit gangly and awkward but he grew into the role adding experience to raw ability and youthful confidence a flippingawesome player

Madine can only dream as do we that he could become half the player

I'm not writing him off by any means but they're two completely different players. Even at an early stage it was clear that Hirst was something special, and he was in and out of a team that were in the top division!

Hindsight is talking here. Was Hirst obviously something special in his second season for example when he scored just 4 times in 19+7 appearances (only one of them before April)? I still remember plenty of grumbling about him even as late as 1989/90 when he finally started to emerge to add quality to determination.

I make no bones about it that I loved him from the outset, but let's not pretend it was clear he was going to become the superstar he did.

Edited by DJMortimer

I really like Madine - but the size of the task to emulate Hirsty is this - Quite simply he has to become one of the very best players in the country - not just for now but also comparable to nearly all players in generations before and after.

Hirsty was such an amazingly powerful player but with incredible grace and poise - very few of his ilk tbh and i just can't see Madine hitting those heights

As i said a couple of days ago i do think he could become a premier player to some degree - but not sure he'll be a toprated, top flight player for the majority of his career

And all those who saw Hirsty early in his Wednesday career obviously saw somebody different to me - he always had that swagger and x-factor that marked him out as one for the future imo

Guest Fedor

I really like Madine - but the size of the task to emulate Hirsty is this - Quite simply he has to become one of the very best players in the country - not just for now but also comparable to nearly all players in generations before and after.

Hirsty was such an amazingly powerful player but with incredible grace and poise - very few of his ilk tbh and i just can't see Madine hitting those heights

As i said a couple of days ago i do think he could become a premier player to some degree - but not sure he'll be a toprated, top flight player for the majority of his career

And all those who saw Hirsty early in his Wednesday career obviously saw somebody different to me - he always had that swagger and x-factor that marked him out as one for the future imo

This is so true, most of us wanted him in team but Wilkinson wouldn't always play him

Guest Boxing day

Changing the subject a bit... when comparing players, who thinks that there is about 30 million pound difference in madine and Andy Carroll? Not me.

From what I've seen on sky of Carroll I don't think there's much between the two in terms of holding the ball up and in the air. If owt I think madines finishing is better all be it against worst defenders.

Changing the subject a bit... when comparing players, who thinks that there is about 30 million pound difference in madine and Andy Carroll? Not me.

From what I've seen on sky of Carroll I don't think there's much between the two in terms of holding the ball up and in the air. If owt I think madines finishing is better all be it against worst defenders.

:biggrin: ya think? i think Newcastle swam the channel there the money from that sale funded what has been a remarkable season for them

I think the main difference is that Andy Carroll is like a brick wall. When on form he can be really formidable for defenders with his jump and the power he has. I've not seen a player attack a ball in the air like he does since Shearer or Duncan Ferguson.

Madine has the leap, but I think he needs the upper body strength for the rest. I do think he's starting to bulk up though.

Guest BigDave

Hirst terrified the best defenders in the country...can't even make a comparison...

Look at the only way they managed to stop him, bast@rds

As Ian Wright said on his radio show a few years back, there was only 1 player in the Country that the great Arsenal defence of the early 90's couldn't play against or stop and that was David Hirst, he also said he had the best left foot he's ever seen in football

Ok it's Ian Wright but it's a fair old compliment, so no disrespect to Gary Madine but it's a tall order to wear Hirsty's boots

One of the things that made me start this thread is the amount of goals Hirsty scored which, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't really amount to much until we dropped down into the old div 2. Then he was awesome in that sense. Are goals how we should judge our strikers? Does Hirsty's all-round ability supersede his goals tally? How many will Madine has to score, over what period, until we genuinely start talking about his in the same esteem we do the Boy Wonder?

Guest BigDave

One of the things that made me start this thread is the amount of goals Hirsty scored which, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't really amount to much until we dropped down into the old div 2. Then he was awesome in that sense. Are goals how we should judge our strikers? Does Hirsty's all-round ability supersede his goals tally? How many will Madine has to score, over what period, until we genuinely start talking about his in the same esteem we do the Boy Wonder?

Do I really have to post those video's again? The Hirsty one's that is :biggrin: