Madine Vs The Boy Wonder...

I'm too young to remember Hirsty when he first signed for Wednesday, but I do remember his peak (which I reckon is 1990 - 1993). I am surprised every time I remember Hirsty scored less than 120 goals in nearly ten years at Hillsborough, yet he is a legend, and my favourite striker ever to pull on the shirt.

My question is this. How does Madine measure up, both in terms of his current S6 career and also what he could achieve here?

nowhere close on both accounts im afraid, and thats no slight on Madine - i think hes a very good centre forward

Theres just not many like David Hirst

As Rusty said.

It will be a long time before we see someone of Hirsty's calibre - don't forget the quality of opponent he played against too.

The best out and out striker I've seen at Wednesday by a long shot.

I'm too young to remember Hirsty when he first signed for Wednesday, but I do remember his peak (which I reckon is 1990 - 1993). I am surprised every time I remember Hirsty scored less than 120 goals in nearly ten years at Hillsborough, yet he is a legend, and my favourite striker ever to pull on the shirt.

My question is this. How does Madine measure up, both in terms of his current S6 career and also what he could achieve here?

I think (but I may be wrong, I don't have the stats to hand) that Madine has scored more than Hirst had at this stage in his Wednesday career, albeit at a lower level.

Hirst was miles better in every department. The goals to years ratio was due to injuries.

Hirst was top end Premier league, Madine is top end 3rd division - with a very promising future.

Edited by chris55515

Mark Hughes was one of the best strikers in the league and if I remember Man U were willing to swap him and a couple of million for Hirst. I think that says it all really. I hope Madine fullfills his potential at Hillsborough, but I don't think he'll reach Hirst's level

Bobby Robson indicated that he wanted David Hirst as England's top striker before Alan Shearer took advantage of his contemporary's injury problems aqnd established himself in that position. Alex Ferguson wanted to pay the record transfer fee for him in this country (beating that of Alan Shearer to Blackburn by a tidy amount) and we turned him down.

That should sum up how far Madine has to go just yet. But he's got plenty of years ahead of him and he's made a good start.

Mark Hughes was one of the best strikers in the league and if I remember Man U were willing to swap him and a couple of million for Hirst. I think that says it all really. I hope Madine fullfills his potential at Hillsborough, but I don't think he'll reach Hirst's level

i never knew that .......

Guest wednesdayloyal

madine doesnt come close to hirst i'm afraid, power, pace, good with both feet and his head and he had all this at the top level.. played for england and i would go as far as saying would have played for his country on more occasions if it wasn't for injury... very raw when he came from barnsley but left as the best centre forward i've ever seen in the blue and white stripes... gary madine is truly a great talent and can only get better i hope but a lot of that will be down to him, he too is good in the air and knows where the net is but not to the same extent as hirsty

Infact, I'll add another point, put that bugger Rhodes together with ched and add madine and you still wouldn't get close to hirst.

Guest pops55

Madine will never ever be anywhere near hirst, that's all I have to say about that

Thats fair enough, however, it nice to have a young talent like Madine on our books not just another loan player who we can't afford.

In the modern game someone as good as Hirst wouldn't be at Wednesday long enough before being snapped up unfortunately.

To think in the early 90s that one of the countries best still played for us along with other greats such as nilson and sheridan in the second tier. Not a chance these days with all the money sloshing around.

I can see the comparisons with Madine, similar stature, a bit of a hard man, good in the air and on the deck but not as quick. Just that Hirst did it at the top. Something for Madine to aspire to though.

This is stupid.

One was the best striker in the country, the other is plying his trade in the 3rd tier and doesn't particularly stand-out amongst the other top strikers in the division.