David Hirst (did he...)

Guest Wab

Interesting thing about this game. It is the last English top-flight game to have absolutely no footage recorded by a television camera.

ITV were supposed to have filmed the game but apparently the early kick-off caught out the cameraman and he missed it. Shame really, I'd have loved to see Hirsty in goal (t'was a couple of years before my time).

There's a whole article on games that were never filmed in issue 300 of WSC.

I remember this one, Hirsty was just God-like, funny thing was he was out in Barnsley town centre on the Thursday before the game, I saw him.

I used to see him in town every thursday drinking cider and smoking, also played against him just before we signed him in a game Barnsley arranged to check his fitness and look at the Kiwomya brothers, I remember standing on the post at a free kick he took and ducking just before it took my head off,no way was I heading that as it blurred past, he limped through most of the first half and got taken off just after half time but still managed to score four. Often wonder how he managed to get through the medical a few weeks later.

Unfortunately not at the match then (was probably only 2 then)... However was at Millwall when Lee Bullen went in net and this happened...

Leaving that place was like trying to escape Bagdad, one of the greatest away days though.

Edited by siowls