R.I.P Vera Chapman - 100% Sheffield Wednesday

Last night I did my usual rounds of the ground ppitchside and walked over to where I always say hello to (and take a photo of) a really genuinely lovely Wednesday fan called Vera Chapman.

She's been down at the front of the South Stand for many years and was 100% Sheffield Wednesday through and through

I know we all know many Wednesday fans who are ardent and blue and white and this lady was up there with the very best of them.

She always had a smile on her face for me, always had a laugh and a joke with those around her, and was at every single home game for more years than many of us have been alive, cheering the Owls on.

Vera had a season ticket at the front row of the South Stand just along from where I used to sit (near the away dug out) and I used to talk to her at home games.

You might mostly remember her for being the one who was on the front row of the South Stand stood up shouting at linesmen every game - yelling at them and telling them off for any mistakes they might have made !

I learned last night that unfortunately it was time for Vera to go to the great home game in the sky to join some former Wednesday legends and to look down upon our football club from above.

I'd like to express my sympathies to Vera's family and to just say that I was upset last night to hear of her passing and that I've met loads of lovely Wednesday fans in my time, and Vera was definitely one I'm proud and happy to have known.

Not too proud to say I'm sat here shedding a tear as I post this

post-4683-0-37276900-1331138498_thumb.jp

Her fellow fans at the game last night did the above little touch on the seat where Vera had her season ticket which was lovely to see too.

R.I.P Vera - sleep tight and let's hope we can get promotion for you this season

UP THE OWLS

Owlstalk Shop

Guest normski

I want to say too that I have sat there with MASSIVE and Vera over 30 years a lovely lady will be missed So So much

I will always hear her shouting at the lines man ( ya know where ya want that flag shoving) lol

R.I.P Vera xxx

Edited by normski

Oh My God. This has really knocked my duck off. I used to go to matches with Vera's son Pete. We often went on the Lepp in the late 70's cos he fancied a young girl in the kiosk. We moved from the Lepp to the South until Pete stopped going, he married a Barnsley Lass and he lives in Barnsley now. I've had my tea at Pete's many times, Vera was a lovely women, and Wednesday through and through. Her husband was called Keith, he died a few years back, and I obviously know W endy too.

Really awful news.

Sorry for your loss W endy and Pete.

R.I.P. Vera.

The picture's are of Vera's daughter W endy.

Edited by HOOTIE AND THE SHIT TU

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I should add that Vera and W endy used to sit right at the side of the away dug-out, and Vera would regularly tell the opposition manager off. I'm not sure if the have the same seats, or if the had to move a few seats when the dug-outs were widened a while ago. They lived on one of the back streets behind Owler Lane and Popple Street.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.