Guest s6 owls fan

Actually I've already got that from the Leicester fans.

And we've also heard about Semedo's ability from other charlton fans comments he seems just the player we need got to be better than Potter and JOC

Guest JonTheOwl66

The Leicester fans told us he was good. Well guess what, he played flipping poo for us. Got absolutely raped by Mackail-Smith. I was actually cringing with embarrassment that night. Anyway, thank you for Semedo. At the end of the day, he won player of the year for you. And at the end of the day.. You offered him another contract. To which he turned you down and decided to join us.

Doesn't that say a lot? :laugh:

Charlton have gone for a more offensive midfield this season with a few young lads in there. I'm just not sure if they have the right balance, i.e. if you had Semedo anchoring with the likes of Green and Stephens doing the attacking that would be the perfect balance.

Perhaps we could get that balance with either Prutton or Coke doing a more forward role with the ability to get box to box too.

Danny Hollands has sat in for Semedo for the games we've had and has looked very good thus far. Apparently Mikel Alonso plays that role too though we've not seen too much of him yet. Our main problem is that we've signed a lot of midfielders and probably don't have space for them all. Will be interesting to see who lines up against Bournemouth when the season kicks off.

The Leicester fans told us he was good. Well guess what, he played flipping poo for us. Got absolutely raped by Mackail-Smith. I was actually cringing with embarrassment that night. Anyway, thank you for Semedo. At the end of the day, he won player of the year for you. And at the end of the day.. You offered him another contract. To which he turned you down and decided to join us.

Mackhail-Smith raped a LOT of defenders last year. I think that says more about the quality of CMS than anything.

In terms of Semedo turning us down,there is less competition for midfield places at Wednesday. Maybe he didn't want to fight for his place.

Edited by TheAddick

Guest s6 owls fan

Exactly this

Guest s6 owls fan

Danny Hollands has sat in for Semedo for the games we've had and has looked very good thus far. Apparently Mikel Alonso plays that role too though we've not seen too much of him yet. Our main problem is that we've signed a lot of midfielders and probably don't have space for them all. Will be interesting to see who lines up against Bournemouth when the season kicks off.

Mackhail-Smith raped a LOT of defenders last year. I think that says more about the quality of CMS than anything.

he couldnt handle Enoch Showunmi...

Guest JonTheOwl66

Yes but you didn't quite see the extent of it. It was literally every single attack he got through on goal. His pace absolutely decimated Morrison. It was abysmal. The worst I've seen a Wednesday player play at home for quite some time I think. Like I said EMBARRASSING.

Guest JonTheOwl66

In terms of Semedo turning us down,there is less competition for midfield places at Wednesday. Maybe he didn't want to fight for his place.

:laugh:

That makes no sense at all. :laugh: So you're saying that.. A player would leave a team that in reality, have spent a ton of money this summer and strengthened a lot.. And as such should be favourites to go up? Don't all players want success? I admit, you could argue that we offered more money. But really..? Semedo was absolutely key to you lot last season, absolutely key.

You might be so blinkered to deny it now, but theres a reason he won POTS. Because he was your best player, even your Charlton bum buddies admitted that he was what kept you going during last season. Almost single handedly. But anyway.. I don't think any of your signings this year are better than Semedo.

Yes but you didn't quite see the extent of it. It was literally every single attack he got through on goal. His pace absolutely decimated Morrison. It was abysmal. The worst I've seen a Wednesday player play at home for quite some time I think. Like I said EMBARRASSING.

Well to be honest, I've not seen much of him so I wouldn't like to comment too much, but he was at fault for one of the goals in pre-season. He left a ball for the keeper and let Bristol City score. That said, he has also scored a goal for us in another game.

The Leicester boys said he did well there. Powell has seen a fair bit of him, so hopefully we'll get the Leicester Michael Morrison not the Sheff. Weds one. If he does turn out to be poor, then we can throw him on the pile with Gary Doherty :blink:

Guest JonTheOwl66

Well, if he is rubbish, he wont play I guess. Most teams sign at least one donkey per season.

lol

You spent a decent sum on him. He will play. And yes, Enoch Showumni is an absolute abomination of a player. And Morrison still got shagged bareback by him.

Going back to the Mackail-Smith argument.. Ironic how when a little ginger Scottish guy came on, we improved ten fold.

Morrison has no pace, no positioning, he isn't that great in the air, and he comes across as a bellend.

Good riddance I say.

Guest gringo69

Miller and Potter

OR

Prutton and Semedo

I'll be absolutely amazed if we don't improve with this new pairing.

And as for Semedo only being able to sit in front of the back four, breaking up attacks............

Exactly what we've been missing since Steve Watson retired.

:laugh:

That makes no sense at all. :laugh: So you're saying that.. A player would leave a team that in reality, have spent a ton of money this summer and strengthened a lot.. And as such should be favourites to go up? Don't all players want success? I admit, you could argue that we offered more money. But really..? Semedo was absolutely key to you lot last season, absolutely key.

You might be so blinkered to deny it now, but theres a reason he won POTS. Because he was your best player, even your Charlton bum buddies admitted that he was what kept you going during last season. Almost single handedly. But anyway.. I don't think any of your signings this year are better than Semedo.

You are wrong for reasons stated in my opening post.

Guest BoomTownOwls

Semedo won the player of the year mostly because Johnnie Jackson was injured for most of the second half of the season. Johnny was walking it by a country mile. Unfortunately once Jackson was crocked, and the fact that Wright-Phillips only played half a season, there wasn't anybody else that could have taken the award other than Semedo.

I know you guys want Semedo to be the answer to all of your prayers but I think you'll be disappointed. I'm not saying that Semedo wasn't liked at Charlton, clearly he was, but his play was very limiting.

I have no idea what formation you'll be playing, but if Semedo is in a midfield five where he can literally just sit in front of the back four to break up attacks for you, then he will do well. The issue is however that in a 4 man midfield he is very limited. The problem is that he is really a centre back. It was Pardew that moved him up to midfield, it wasn't a position he had played before. His tackling is great, his workrate is second to none, but his passing is typical of a centre back of his type. In terms of vision, there isn't any. He looks for the simple pass always, either square or back and unfortunately his passes have been known to fall short regularly. In a four man midfield you need players who can do more than just break up attacks. You need to turn defence into attack, quickly. Semedo doesn't do this unfortunately, it was probably the most frustrating part of his play. He also offers nothing in terms of attack. You can count on one-hand how many times he crosses the halfway line in a match. As I said, if Megson has bought him specifically to protect the defence then that's fine, but if you need to make formation changes in a match and switch to a four, Semedo's limited playstyle will show itself.

I've no axe to grind, I liked Jose, how could you not like a player that dies for your cause? But last season Semedo was a major part of what was wrong in our side. Ultimately though, he will give everything, he will throw himself into tackles (he will miss some important ones too however) expect a few cards, red and yellow as it's the nature of his play, but don't expect him to play outside of his mould. He wont. He can't.

I would have liked to keep him to put him as centre back for this coming season. But I would definitely not given him another season in midfield. I hope he does well for you, but we have better midfielders now, we don't need him in that position anymore.

Any questions on him, feel free to ask, I'll answer what I can.

First time Charlton get outfought away against some small club all the Charlton fans will be crying "we miss Semedo's fight".

Charlton will struggle to come in the top 6 and Powell will be sacked before Christmas.

Just my opinion :-)

Michael Morrison must have some ability as he played a key role for Leicester.

But for such a big bloke, at SWFC he didnt half mince around in the defence and neshed a 50/50 with Obefemi Martins for Brum in the FA cup which was criminal. I thought we could give him a bit longer but seeing as Charlton offered the money back we paid for him (or near enough) I think it was a no brainer.

Danny Hollands is a decent holding player, but not as imposing as Semedo IMO. I think Charlton have some good young players but Charlton will face similar expectations at home to Wednesday and my only concern had we signed a lot of youngish players is that heads can drop for months at a time. We had the same last year with our midfield, players like Coke would be outstanding for 5 games and then annonymous for another 5.

At present we have flip all by way of attack from midfield other than JJ and perhaps Sedgwicks decent delivery from corners. But I do think that if we get another good winger in and play Coke further forward we will have a finely balanced midfield, provided everyone is fit.

Michael Morrison must have some ability as he played a key role for Leicester.

But for such a big bloke, at SWFC he didnt half mince around in the defence and neshed a 50/50 with Obefemi Martins for Brum in the FA cup which was criminal. I thought we could give him a bit longer but seeing as Charlton offered the money back we paid for him (or near enough) I think it was a no brainer.

Danny Hollands is a decent holding player, but not as imposing as Semedo IMO. I think Charlton have some good young players but Charlton will face similar expectations at home to Wednesday and my only concern had we signed a lot of youngish players is that heads can drop for months at a time. We had the same last year with our midfield, players like Coke would be outstanding for 5 games and then annonymous for another 5.

At present we have flip all by way of attack from midfield other than JJ and perhaps Sedgwicks decent delivery from corners. But I do think that if we get another good winger in and play Coke further forward we will have a finely balanced midfield, provided everyone is fit.

Personally I think Powell will be gone by October, we've got a tough start and as you say, there will be expectations not only from the fans, but from the mysterious backer who his handing Powell all the money. If we don't start well, I can see Powell being shown the exit and someone else taking over, someone with a bit more of a pedigree who might be able to push the youngsters on a bit more.

In terms of Morrison, I've read plenty on these boards about him and plenty on the Leicester boards too. It's one of those situations where we have to see which Morrison we end up with.

First time Charlton get outfought away against some small club all the Charlton fans will be crying "we miss Semedo's fight".

Charlton will struggle to come in the top 6 and Powell will be sacked before Christmas.

Just my opinion :-)

I agree, Powell will likely be gone by Christmas, and any team will miss a hard working player when he leaves. From what I've seen in pre-season however we look in better shape as a unit than last season. As for who comes top 6...ask Mystic Meg(son?)... :happy: