How good was David Hirst?

Guest duediligence

The boy was class and when he was in the team you had confidence that he would score and give opponents a hard game. He could shoot with both feet ,had pace, and was a powerful header of the ball. He was very brave too and you wouldn't get any diving or going down liek Drogba or Heskey would which was highlighted when that carthorse Bould ploughed through the back of him causing him to break his ankle. But before going off he waited for the free kick to be taken which he then scored from and was then stretchered off.

You don't get Alex Ferguson making bid after bid for you if you are no good.

He also had the respect of the crowd which he too mutually respected and he would always have banter with the crowd notably at Twerton Park in 1990 when there was him and Harkes stood with the away fans because there was nowhere else for them to stand.

A true legend and I for one will always have great memories of him playing in the famous blue and white stripes

Guest BoomTownOwls

Yes, and with the protection he would receive from refs today he would have blossomed even more.

Agreed. Bould would have got a red and a 10 match ban. It was assault, simple as.

There are times when nostalgia and times gone past result in you over egging the pudding and painting a rosier picture than actually existed at the time.

Not with David Hirst, he WAS that good.

Very rarely had a bad game either.

Sir Alex Ferguson offered us a British record fee (reported as something like £4.5m not long after Shearer had moved for £3.6m) for him which we rejected. That covers most of it.

But if you think of all the things you want in a striker such as power, speed, aerial ability, determination, strength, intelligence, control and accuracy he rated very well in every category. Unusually for the apathetic British footballer he was willing and able to use both feet which gave him another edge to those who like to step around the ball to get it on their favoured foot.

He was my favourite player from early on. The skills were still developing but the enthusiasm he played with (I remember him several times charging 50 yards or more to defend when the opponents had broken away from a corner or something) always caught the eye.

The man is a Wednesday legend and it's such a shame his injury problems didn't allow him to fulfill his tremendous potential.

The most complete striker I've ever seen. He had the lot. Scored with his left, his right, his head.

Had tremedous pace, could pass, could dribble. Scored goals from 2 yards and 35 yards.

Could hit the net from free kicks.

Tackled, chased back, went wide on the left, up front.

Could lead the line on his own. Looked good alongside whoever he played with in a partnership.

Should I stop there? You get the gist. A wonderful footballer.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ your Donny mate needs to visit youtube.

I remember playing v Man City once, Turner or Pressie took a goal kick right over the top, Hirsty coming in from the left about 25 yards out struck it first time on the volley, left footed and it only just went over, in fact it was dippig, if he'd been a bit further out, probably would've gone in.. Tony Coton was in goal for Citeh and he looked mighty relieved. never seen anything like it (apart from van Basten's goal in Euro 88 but that wasn't direct from a goal kick. And it went in)

For the youngsters who weren't around to see the sides Hirst played in, please forgive the rest of us for moaning about the teams we've had to endure over recent seasons.

Once you've set the bar at a certain level, every subsequent team is judged against that benchmark. No team since the early nineties has got anywhere near being good enough.

Perhaps a reason why older fans have been drifting away over recent years, or awaiting the arrival of a new messiah.

Could it be that a new messiah is about to lead us to The Holy Land?

I'll tell you this much. When this club gets on a roll again, you're not going to believe how big this club is. The atmosphere at a packed Hillsborough every week will make the hair stand up on the back of your necks.

Bring it on!

The most complete striker I've ever seen. He had the lot. Scored with his left, his right, his head.

Had tremedous pace, could pass, could dribble. Scored goals from 2 yards and 35 yards.

Could lead the line on his own. Looked good alongside whoever he played with in a partnership.

Absolutely this. Shearer was great, but he was one footed, and he didn't have the pace of Hirst.

In our promotion season of 1990/91, Hirst scored 34 goals, despite missing 14 games through injury.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest Stereophonics

Bryan Robson famously said that, “It’s not a question of who will replace Lineker, but who will partner David Hirst”

That good.

Hirsty would have been even more flattered if Bobby Robson had have said it

Agree with this also!!! The goal on the opening day of 91/92 season against Villa was a favourite of mine. The man was a genius and probably my all time favourite Sheffield Wednesday player. He was a pleasure to watch week in week out.

Guest Danaldo_SWFC

My 2nd favourite striker of all time behind Gabriel Batistuta. That pretty much sums it up.