How good was David Hirst?

Guest duediligence

Guest duediligence

I know its been done before but just let my Donny fan mate know what he was like.....

Take it away boys!

Guest BoomTownOwls

He was the best striker I have ever seen in the flesh. Unfortunately, only for 2 seasons.

Injuries and not looking after himself did for him.

At his peak he had strength, agression, pace, skill, dynamite in both feet and he was brilliant in the air.

Guest duediligence

I said to him that if Carrol is worth 35m then Hirst in his prime must be around Torres money....

The man had EVERYTHING!

The most complete striker I've ever seen. He had the lot. Scored with his left, his right, his head.

Had tremedous pace, could pass, could dribble. Scored goals from 2 yards and 35 yards.

Could hit the net from free kicks.

Tackled, chased back, went wide on the left, up front.

Could lead the line on his own. Looked good alongside whoever he played with in a partnership.

Should I stop there? You get the gist. A wonderful footballer.

I know its been done before but just let my Donny fan mate know what he was like.....

Take it away boys!

The best !!!!!!!!

Pace,power and a great finisher .Cant remember the game but remember him recieving ball just in his own half turning his marker leaving other defenders for dead and smashing the ball into top corner with that great left foot.

Money could not buy the bloke if you look at what the likes of Carroll are going for.I suggest you look at a few of his clips on Youtube and make up your own mind.

Guest BoomTownOwls

In his 1992 prime, he'd be attracting offers of £15m+ today

Fergie was willing to smash the British Record transfer fee for Hirst but not for Shearer. Absolute rubbish goes for £15 million nowadays. If Hirst was at his peak in The Premier League now and Bent is worth £25 million and Carroll is worth £35 million then Hist would be worth at least £50 million.

He'd have been a better buy than Torres! (Disclaimer:- As long as the manager employed armed guards to stop him drinking alcohol)

The most complete striker I've ever seen. He had the lot. Scored with his left, his right, his head.

Had tremedous pace, could pass, could dribble. Scored goals from 2 yards and 35 yards.

Could lead the line on his own. Looked good alongside whoever he played with in a partnership.

This, basically.

Guest Bellsview

Him and Shearer would have been England's strike partnership for years had Hirsty not had his injuries.

Complete striker was Hirst. I know I am probably biased but I rated him better than Shearer in the early 90's (then again Fergie wanted to sign him and went in for him and not Shearer - offered us £4 million for him, I think Shearer went to Blackburn for around £3.25 million) - he could run with the ball, head the ball, score from 2 yards or 35 yards.

Strong in the air and an absolute hammer of a left foot.

Just absolute quality from head to toe. Check out the 4 goals he scored at home v Hull City in the 1990-91 season, they give a flavour of his talents - you'll be able to find them on youtube somewhere.

This.

£15m wouldn't buy his shoe-lace.

Oh, and he wasn't bad as a keeper either

He was the best striker I have ever seen in the flesh. Unfortunately, only for 2 seasons.

Injuries and not looking after himself did for him.

At his peak he had strength, agression, pace, skill, dynamite in both feet and he was brilliant in the air.

Yes, and with the protection he would receive from refs today he would have blossomed even more.

My first hero I can remember was Gary Bannister but the team containing Hirst, Sheridan, Nilsson was very special. I still remember sitting about 2 rows back v Hull when Hirsty scored a hat trick, he picked the ball up just in front of me, spun the defender and left them trailing for dead before sliding in off the far post. Hirsty had it all, just a real shame that injuries took there toll. One of those players whom when in on goal, you knew where it was going to end up and were already stood cheering, great memories.