Jose Semedo

Guest Sheff Owl

Player of the season and they're letting him go? Or did they offer a contract and he didn't sign?

Was offered a new contract but was tempted by a Greek team potentially offering better terms?! At least that's what SkySports and 606 (before closure) leads me to believe.

Midfielder Jose Semedo was crowned Charlton's 2010/11 player of the year on Sunday night.

The Portuguese powerhouse collected his prize in front of of his teammates and hundreds of supporters at the club's annual dinner at The Valley, having claimed almost half of the votes in the fans' poll.

Runner-up Johnnie Jackson earned 23 per cent of the vote, with goalkeeper Rob Elliot in third with 11 per cent.

But Semedo, who was recently named the club's captain in the absence of the suspended Christian Dailly, was the clear winner with 43 per cent.

After taking the armband from Dailly, Semedo also took the player of the year trophy from the centre-half, who was named the player of the 2009/10 season 12 months ago.

The 26-year-old engine-roomer was pipped to the main prize on that occasion, but after a series of whole-hearted displays in the centre of the pitch during a disappointing League One campaign for the Addicks, Semedo will now see his name added to a long list of club greats.

Semedo arrived in England from Sportng Clube de Portugal under former manager Alan Pardew in summer 2007 following Charlton's relegation from the Premier League, and he scored only his second goal in almost four years when he netted in the 3-1 Valley win against Leyton Orient in early April.

Speaking after the game, the midfield enforcer dedicated his goal to the club's supporters, saying: "I cannot explain how that goal felt. It was too emotional.

"It meant a lot because of all the love the Charlton fans have given to me. I'm happy that we won the game, but to score here is something I can't explain - it was all for them, the fans. That goal was for them."

The winner of the Charlton Athletic Disabled Supporters' Association (CADSA) player of the year award was also Semedo, while the young player of the year trophy, as selected by the club's management team, was Callum Harriott.

Any info on why he's being released then? Sounds pretty popular in that story.

Guest Sheff Owl

I think it's got something to do with he is a high earner and they offered him a pay cut.

They then signed Danny Hollands who apparently is a holding Midfield player and offered him a decent wage.

All from Charlton fans site.

I think it's got something to do with he is a high earner and they offered him a pay cut.

They then signed Danny Hollands who apparently is a holding Midfield player and offered him a decent wage.

All from Charlton fans site.

Cheers. That question wasn't aimed directly at you BTW. My typing was too slow, read all the intervening posts after I posted mine, then too late to edit.

Sooo, would that be two defensive midfielders we have signed? Assuming we sign Semedo.

I`m glad though, the more midfielders we sign the better, less chance of Clapper and Crab Man being in the squad.

Sign him up! Oh and sign Racon too if he hasnt signed for anyone yet.

have a look at Reynolds, I purchased him for my Owls ultimate team. can't remember 100% but I believe he is gold, rated 74 lol.

aye, but my team is a BRONZE League 1 team, last night I beat an 87 rated squad, he had:

IF Casillas

IF Contreauo

IF Pepe

IF Carvalho

IF Lahm

Messi

IF Kaka

Ronaldo

IF Javi Martinez

IF Higuain

IF Lisandro Lopez

and I had:

Smithies (Huddersfield) : 64 rated

Otsemobor (Owls) : 60 rated, 86 pace

Zakuani (Peterborough): 64 rated, 79 pace

Onoukonghae (can't remember) : 62 rated, 75 pace

Spurr (Owls) : 64 rated, 75(?) pace

Kay (udders) : 63 rated, 64 pace

Walton (Plymouth) : 62 rated, 72 pace

Davies (ex county) : 64 rated, 68 pace

Smith (orient) : 63 rated, 76 pace

Odejayi (Colchester) : 63 rated, 83 pace, 80+ heading, absolute tank

Morgan (can't remember) 64 rated, 80 pace, tank... Scored 4 that game

Sodje (chartlon : 64 rated, 79 pace, 80+ Heading and an absolute tank.

Final score was 5-4 to me, not having been losing throughout, awesome game, I then beat a simillarly good team next game, and then lost against a lesser team, rated 85 overall :(

Guest Parky1867

Sounds promising. Haven't seen anything of him myself, but the Charlton fans obviously rate him, and he must have made a good impact to be voted player of the year as a defensive midfielder, usually that role can be under appreciated by a lot of fans.

Sounds like he has a lot of the attributes we have been lacking for years in central midfield.

Guest jake benson

have a look at Reynolds, I purchased him for my Owls ultimate team. can't remember 100% but I believe he is gold, rated 74 lol.

Gold players are 75 and above ! He is only silver

Guest Wildy1979

Semedo's brother works with me, he told me about this 6 weeks ago, he wants to come to us to be near his brother and sister who both live and work in Wombwell.

i wouldnt be surprised in the slightest if this comes off.