Hirst or Deane.

Ive just been browsing through a thread on owlsmad about david hirst, the guy who brought the subject up is a pig fan, he puts across that he reckons our older supporters brain wash the younger end into overrating one of wednesdays finest strikers, he then compares Deane to hirst, which i think is ridiculous, hirst was head and shoulders above Deane in my opinion.

Some of the stuff the pigs come out with is unbelievable.

Guest Hirsty's Girl

Hirst was everything that a footballer should be. Powerful, skillful, showed a passion for the game, the fans, the team and showed a desire to win. My best memories of football are watching him play for us. True class.

Brian Deane was a fine player and his record speaks for himself.

But Hirst...?

Left foot, right foot, head, pace, flair...

He was the complete striker.

Indeed.

Deane in his own right was a very good player, but he wasn't in the same league as Hirst.

never heard of man ure trying to buy hirst several times but was knocked back to stay with the club

He would have become a megastar if he'd gone to Man Utd. Fergie would never have shoved him out half fit, and he would have had a longer career.

A fully fit Hirst and Shearer for England would have been interesting too, although they were perhaps too similar to play together.

He would have become a megastar if he'd gone to Man Utd. Fergie would never have shoved him out half fit, and he would have had a longer career.

A fully fit Hirst and Shearer for England would have been interesting too, although they were perhaps too similar to play together.

I know what you mean and would say Hirst had the better reserve of skill.

But with good management theres no reason why Hirst couldn't have been a hybrid of Ian Wright with the pace and Sheringham with the flair and touch.

Then use Shearer as the 'No9' big hitter cleaning up after him.

I know what you mean and would say Hirst had the better reserve of skill.

But with good management theres no reason why Hirst couldn't have been a hybrid of Ian Wright with the pace and Sheringham with the flair and touch.

Then use Shearer as the 'No9' big hitter cleaning up after him.

Possibly. As I hinted at earlier in the thread, I think Rooneys game and qualitys are very close to Hirsts. Some may mock that comparison, but if Hirst had moved on to a dominant force like Man Utd in his prime, he would have netted 25+ per season, no doubt, and been a shoe-in for England.

Possibly. As I hinted at earlier in the thread, I think Rooneys game and qualitys are very close to Hirsts. Some may mock that comparison, but if Hirst had moved on to a dominant force like Man Utd in his prime, he would have netted 25+ per season, no doubt, and been a shoe-in for England.

Plus, despite Hirst's energetic peak at 23 or 24 years old imagine if he had matured, injury free, into a different kind of player just like the great strikers generally do.

He had enough in his tank to become either that big hitter Duncan Ferguson style player or a Bergkamp ball player etc, etc...